Currently recruiting volunteer Committee Members.
WYPIN is a youth-led, youth empowerment and advocacy group based in Melbourne’s west.
WYPIN provides meaningful opportunities for active citizenship, personal development and leadership for young people aged 16-25yrs, from refugee and migrant backgrounds in the western region of Melbourne.
The group meets weekly online, in a casual but focused environment and are continually looking for innovative ways to address the needs of the community.
This aim will be achieved through four interlinked objectives to:
- Engage and support a core group of youth volunteers in the WYPIN Committee to lead positive change in the community
- Build the confidence, skills and knowledge of the WYPIN Committee members to succeed in their role
- Provide the capability, information and resources for the WYPIN Committee to make informed decisions and lead local initiatives in areas of identified need or interest
- Facilitate informal mentoring and support of WYPIN Committee members to young people living in the west of Melbourne
As a WYPIN committee member you will have the opportunity to:
- Attend facilitated meetings
- Inform Youth Leadership team on the development and design of leadership programs for young men and women living in the west of Melbourne
- Co-facilitate and support the delivery and evaluation of leadership programs
- Co-facilitate with the CMY Project Officer to support youth-led projects
- Attend CMY events and training sessions.
WYPIN is maintained with support of the Victorian Office for Youth through the Engage! grants program.
Become a Committee Member
We’re currently looking for young people aged 16-25 from refugee or migrant backgrounds to join our WYPIN Committee.
Being on the WYPIN is an opportunity to meet like-minded peers, represent multicultural young people, and influence CMY’s work, including the programs we run and issues we focus on.
What does WYPIN Committee do?
WYPIN Committee members will be trained in areas that support them to succeed in their role including leadership, working with others, decision-making, project management, facilitation and budgeting.
They will meet regularly, as determined by the Committee Members, in order to achieve their planned activities that include:
- Leadership Workshops for Young People living in the West: workshops led by WYPIN Committee and CMY staff in areas such as mental health, employment readiness, self-advocacy, financial literacy and leadership
- Youth-led Projects: where projects are developed and implemented by young people who have participated in WYPIN leadership training activities. Youth-led projects identified by local young people will be provided seed funding to initiate their ideas for making positive change with support and mentoring from the WYPIN Committee and CMY staff
- #BestOftheWest campaign: social media campaign by and for multicultural young people living in the west of Melbourne that celebrates the achievements of local young people
- WYPIN EOY Graduation Event: to celebrate those who have been involved in WYPIN each year, where family, community leaders and representatives are invited for dinner and presentations
Additional opportunities provided to WYPIN committee members are generally optional, but highly recommended.
Who can apply?
Young people aged 16-25 years old and who are:
- Living, studying or working in the western suburbs of Melbourne
- Of refugee or migrant background including young people whose parents/carers have had a refugee/migrant experience.
- Passionate about addressing issues faced by young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds
- Interested in planning and facilitating leadership programs for young people
- Committed to participating in and attending WYPIN meetings and youth-led projects
Applications close: Friday 29th April 2022, 5pm.
If you have any questions or want to find out more before applying, please contact Matthew Ondarchie.
Matthew Ondarchie | Project Support Officer
E | email@example.com
P | (03) 9340 3700
M | 0475 400 740