Victoria’s population is increasingly diverse. In the 2016 Census, 48% of young Victorians had one or both parents born overseas.
Supporting inclusive service provision
Our work draws on CMY’s 30+ years of experience working with young people from migrant and refugee backgrounds.
We deliver training and professional development opportunities, provide secondary consultations, support research and advocacy activities, develop useful resources, and encourage and facilitate cross-sector partnerships.
We collaborate with a wide range of sectors, including: settlement services, youth work, education, employment and business, health services, local government, youth justice, sports and recreation, and the multicultural sector.
We also offer Schools Standing Up to Racism, a range of resources to support schools to address racism and discrimination in their school environment.
Training and Professional Development
We offer in-depth training and professional development packages for individuals and organisations who want to build their cultural competence in working with multicultural young people, their families and communities, with a focus on:
- Culturally Responsive Practice
- Youth Settlement
Our services include:
- Tailored Secondary Consultation
- Professional Development and Training
- Tip Sheets/info sheets
- Issues Papers
We offer frameworks for developing good practice and provide individual workers with greater knowledge and confidence to work with young people. This work ensures that young people have access to appropriate support and inclusive services. It also promotes and fosters innovation and the development of strengths-based, responsive models that facilitate sustainable change.
Find out more about training opportunities
Other trainings by CMY
- The MY Education team provides training and support for education providers.
- The Youth Leadership team offers various workshops in schools for young people, that are co-facilitated by young people.
- We’re offering a new Schools Standing Up to Racism workshop designed for primary and secondary schools to support the implementation of the Schools Standing Up to Racism resource.
- REVERB Workshop: Amplifying the voices of multicultural young people in mental health, a workshop which is co-designed and co-delivered by young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds that have lived experiences in accessing mental health services.
Student Placement opportunities
Our Student Placement Coordinator is able to assist youth organisations to create placement opportunities for students, undertaking Youth Work, Community Services and Community Development degrees and diplomas.
If this is this something that your organisation is interested in, please contact email@example.com.
CMY hosts regular Statewide Forums for sector workers, researchers and young people to come together, network and discuss relevant topics and challenges faced by young people from migrant and refugee backgrounds, and how we can better support them.
Some of the themes we’ve focused on at previous forums are: Youth Participation, Employment, Mentoring, Mental Health, and Inclusive Sport.
Join our mailing list or follow us on social media to find out about upcoming forums.