T: (03) 9340 3700
To our Afghan community,
CMY would like to express our solidarity for the Afghan community in Australia and extend this to your loved ones still in Afghanistan. We want you to know that we see what you are going through and we are doing what we can to support you. We greatly value you and the immense contributions that you have made, and continue to make, within our community.
This page outlines the ways in which CMY is supporting Afghan young people and their families, and shares helpful resources, information and support for both Afghan people and the broader community.
What we are doing to support the community
- CMY has established a ‘Support for the Afghan Community Working Group’. The purpose of this group is to identify and implement appropriate supports for the Afghan community, update CMY on the emerging challenges facing the Afghan community, and to provide information and opportunities for non-Afghan people to support this issue. This group will meet regularly so that we continue to improve how we can support the Afghan community.
- CMY CEO, Carmel Guerra, has joined the Immigration Minister’s Advisory Group on Australia’s resettlement of Afghan nationals. The purpose of this group is to ensure the government’s settlement program is providing comprehensive support to new Afghan community members.
- CMY supports the Afghan community in Australia through the various programs we run that are designed to help young people and their families feel connected and reach their full potential. To see available programs, browse this site.
Support, information and resources
- Learn more about the Australian Government Settlement Support Package for the Afghan community.
- Sign a petition calling on the Australian Government and Parliamentarians to take immediate action in response to the escalating violence against Hazara Shia Muslims in Afghanistan.
- Click here for a list of ways you can support the Afghan community.
- View resources via Foundation House If you or someone you know requires specialised counselling or mental health support, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Further information from the Australian Government; visa, benefits, legal assistance.