Supporting young people from migrant and refugee backgrounds during COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak.
T: (03) 9340 3700
Our team is working hard to ensure no one is left behind and that all young people have access to the support and advice they need to stay connected, safe and healthy throughout the current COVID-19 crisis.
On this page we have gathered a range of useful resources and information for young people and those who are working with them. Please get in touch with our team at email@example.com if you have further resources to share that may be of assistance to the young people and communities we work with.
Are you looking for info or assistance to navigate services during this difficult time? Our experienced staff are available to connect you to the services and supports you need.
Call MY Connect: (03) 9340 3770
8am – 8pm, Monday to Friday
Free & confidential
Latest advice and information
If you suspect you may have Coronavirus (COVID-19) please call the dedicated hotline 1800 675 398 – open 24 hours, 7 days.
- Latest health advice on Coronavirus from Victorian Government
- Translated Coronavirus information from Victorian Government
- Latest health advice from the Australian Government
- Announcements about current restrictions in Victoria
- Download Coronavirus Australia app from the Apple App Store
- Download Coronavirus Australia app from Google Play
Translated resources in your language
Support and assistance for young people and communities
- MY Connect: CMY info line during Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Phone: (03) 9340 3770, 8am-8pm, Monday to Friday
- Emergency Relief Packages for Victorians – Victorian Government
- Info sheet: Support for Young People and Communities amidst COVID-19
- Information and services to help you if you’re affected – Services Australia
- Emergency relief and casework support for people on temporary visas – Australian Red Cross
- Telco Assistance Packages to Support Families and Households – ACCAN
Information for International Students
Housing and homelessness
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) guide for renters – Tenants Victoria
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) rent relief grant – Victorian Government
- A Step-by-Step Guide for Rent Relief for Young People in Victoria – YACVic
- Crisis & emergency accommodation
Statewide After Hours Service
Phone: 1800 825 955 (free call) or (03) 9536 7777
Hours: 5 pm to 9 am, Monday to Friday and 24 hours on weekends and public holidays
- Launch Housing – First Responders
Phone: 1800 825 955
- Frontyard Youth Services – MCM
Phone: (03) 9977 0077
Racism and discrimination
- 5 easy ways to fight racism by Asanga Seneviratne – FYA
- Victims of coronavirus-fuelled racism in Australia are speaking out about its impact – SBS
- Information for people making complaints about racial discrimination
- A message from the Victorian Equal Opportunity & Human Rights Commissioner: How we’re responding to the challenges Victorians are facing today
Mental health and wellbeing
If you need to talk with someone immediately, please call:
- Lifeline: 13 11 14 or visit lifeline.org.au
- beyondblue: 1300 224 636 or visit beyondblue.org.au
- Kids Helpline: 1800 55 1800 or visit kidshelpline.com.au
Below are some links to mental health resources to support young people:
- Self Check In – Daily Guide COVID-19
- How to cope with stress related to Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Headspace
- Looking after your mental health during the coronavirus outbreak – Beyond Blue
- Mental health resources – coronavirus (COVID-19) – Victorian Government
- How teenagers can protect their mental health during coronavirus – UNICEF
- Supporting children and young people to cope – Royal Children’s Hospital
- How to talk to your child about coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) – UNICEF
Family and domestic violence supports
If you are feeling unsafe or someone you know is in immediate danger, please call 000.
Phone numbers for support
- 1800RESPECT: sexual assault and domestic violence counselling service on 1800 737 732. A list of safety apps for mobile phones can also be found at their website.
- Safe Steps: 24/7 family violence crisis response phone line on 1800 015 188.
- InTouch (Multicultural Centre Against Family Violence): toll free number 1800 755 988.
Education & learning support programs
- Returning to Face to Face Learning
- Return to school advice in your language – DET
- Learning from home advice in your language – DET
- MY Education: Supporting Families
- MY Education: Online Learning Platforms
- MY Education: Online Resources
- MY Education 2020 Training Calendar
- Learning Beyond the Bell
- e-Learning Resource: Refugee Journeys into Victorian Schools
- ABC Education: Resources for schools, teachers and students
- Out-of-School Hours Learning Support Programs still operating during COVID-19
Resources for Youth Workers
CMY staff are working remotely from home wherever possible, however we’re still here to support and engage with young people from migrant and refugee backgrounds as well as our partners who work across a variety of sectors.
If you are a young person who is looking for info or assistance to navigate services during this difficult time, call our MY Connect line: (03) 9340 3770, 8am-8pm, Monday to Friday. You can also email MY Connect on: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all other enquiries, please call CMY on (03) 9340 3700 or email email@example.com.
You can also connect with CMY on social media, where we are sharing the latest updates, along with tips and strategies to support you during isolation: