CMY is dedicated to ensuring that the work we do is youth influenced, recognising young people as experts. After all, no one knows more about young people than…well, young people!
Join CMY’s Youth Advisory Group
CMY has a metropolitan Youth Advisory Group, as well as regional Youth Advisory Groups based in Ballarat and Gippsland.
Youth Advisory Group - Gippsland
We’re currently looking for young people aged 12-24 from migrant or refugee backgrounds to fill new vacancies on our YAG in Gippsland.
Being on the YAG is an opportunity to meet new friends, represent multicultural young people, and influence CMY’s work, including the programs we run and issues we focus on.
YAG members will meet monthly on the first Wednesday of each month. With the expectation of being involved for 2 years, with a minimum of a one-year commitment.
YAG members must attend an initial Orientation Program Fri 27th – Sun 29th March. Please be available for this if applying.
What is the purpose of the YAG?
The YAG provides an opportunity for young people from migrant and refugee backgrounds to have input into CMY’s work, including program development and speaking on issues that should be at the forefront.
Views and ideas expressed by YAG members have been instrumental in the decision-making processes of the Strategic Coordination Group, Team Leaders, Management and Board of CMY.
Supported by the Victorian Office for Youth.
What is involved?
Being a part of CMY’s YAG is a great opportunity to:
- Identify and speak on key issues affecting refugee and migrant youth
- Advise CMY on creating responses to the issues affecting refugee and migrant young people
- Contribute to program development and propose new ideas
- Work alongside CMY staff to facilitate key events and programs
- Speak at and/or attend CMY events and training sessions
- Attend regular meetings
- Develop personal networks and have some fun!
Who can apply?
Young people aged 12-24 years old and who have:
- Refugee or migration experience including people whose parents/carers have refugee or migrant backgrounds
- Ability and commitment to articulate issues of concern and to provide feedback
- Commitment to addressing issues faced by migrant and refugee young people
- Willingness to participate and a commitment to attend YAG meetings
For more information and how to apply for YAG positions, contact:
Emmanuel Maphanta – Multicultural Youth Worker
M: 0437 866 168
Applications close 12 pm on Monday 10th February 2020.
To stay in the loop about other opportunities to get involved, sign up to CMY's youth-led e-newsletter 'The Mix'.
In the photo: CMY's 2019 metro Youth Advisory Group with Youth Leadership Project Officer William, Youth Intern 2019-20 Emmanuela and CEO Carmel Guerra. Image credit: Madz Rehorek