CMY is dedicated to ensuring that the work we do is youth influenced, recognising young people as experts. After all, no one knows more about young people than…well, young people!
CMY’s Youth Advisory Group
Being on the YAG is an opportunity to meet new friends, represent multicultural young people, and influence CMY’s work, including the programs we run and issues we focus on.
YAG members will meet on Monthly on the first Wednesday of each month. With the expectation of being involved for 2 years, with a minimum of a one-year commitment.
What is the purpose of the YAG?
CMY seeks to provide channels of influence that enable young people to practice leadership and promote understanding of their knowledge and lived experience. The YAG provides an opportunity for young people from migrant and refugee backgrounds to have input into CMY’s work, including the programs we run and issues we focus on. The views and ideas expressed by YAG members will influence the decision making processes of the Strategic Coordination Group, Team Leaders, Management and Board of CMY.
Supported by the Victorian Office for Youth
What is involved?
Being apart of CMY’s YAG is a great opportunity for professional development. In your role as Youth Advisor you will have the opportunity to:
• Identify and speak on key issues affecting refugee and migrant youth
• Advise CMY on creating responses to the issues affecting refugee and migrant young people
• Have the opportunity to contribute to program development and propose new ideas
• Be involved with an extensive organization and learn how a non-for-profit operates
• Work alongside CMY staff to facilitate key events and programs
• Speak at and/or attend CMY events and training sessions
• Attend regular meetings
• Develop personal networks and have some fun!
Who can apply?
Young people aged 16-25 years old and who have:
• Refugee or Migration experience including people who’s parents/carers who have had a refugee or migrant experience to ensure diversity in representation of migrant and refugee communities.
• Ability and commitment to articulate issues of concern for migrant and refugee young people
• Analytical and problem solving skills in order to provide feedback
• Commitment to addressing issues faced by migrant and refugee young people
• Willingness to participate and a commitment to attend YAG meetings
For more information contact:
Will Clarke – Project Officer – Youth Leadership
firstname.lastname@example.org | P: (03 ) 8594 1559| M: 0448 904 941
To stay in the loop about other opportunities to get involved, sign up to CMY's youth-led e-newsletter 'The Mix'.
In the photo: CMY's 2019 metro Youth Advisory Group with Youth Leadership Project Officer William, Youth Intern 2019-20 Emmanuela and CEO Carmel Guerra. Image credit: Madz Rehorek