Are you a young person who is new to Australia? Are you interested in finding a job?
We understand that finding a job here can be difficult for lots of reasons. Some employers want you to have work experience in Australia, and the Australian workplace can be hard to understand.
ENVISION Employment connects newly-arrived young people from migrant or refugee backgrounds with volunteer mentors who are able to support you to find work.
When you join the ENVISION Employment program, these volunteer mentors support you by:
- helping you to think about what work you want to do in Australia
- working with you to look for and apply to jobs
- sharing their experience with you and answering your questions about working in Australia.
Who can join the program?
Young people from refugee or migrant backgrounds, between 18 and 25 years old, who have been in Australia for 6 months to 5 years and need help finding a job.
To join the ENVISION Employment program, you must:
- Be 18 – 25 years old
- Have been in Australia from 6 months to 5 years
- Be from a refugee or migrant background
- Currently live in or around Melbourne
- Be interested in finding a job or work experience opportunity
- Meet your mentor 1-2 times a month, in person, at a community library or public place
- Make a pair with a friend or buddy to meet with your mentor
- We match 2 mentees (young people) to 1 mentor
- Commit to this program for up to 12 months.
Information for young people
ENVISION Employment can help you if you have been in Australia for 5 years or less, and if finding a job is challenging for you because:
- You don’t have much, or any, Australian work experience
- Your qualifications are not recognised in Australia
- You are still learning English
- You would like to learn more about looking for and applying to jobs in Australia.
What do I need to do to join?
2. If your interests and goals are in line with the kind of support the ENVISION Employment program can provide, we will send you a link to an online application form – so make sure your email address works, and check your inbox!
3. We want to get to know you well so that we can make a great match for you with a volunteer mentor. So, next, we’ll organise a meeting with you and an ENVISION Employment staff member to learn more about you!
4. ENVISION Employment will make sure we have a friendly, experienced volunteer mentor to support you to get ready for work. While we organise that for you, please make sure you are encouraging your friends to join the program too. Mentors work with pairs of mentees – that means that you can choose to learn about getting ready for employment with a friend. If you don’t have a friend to join the program with, let us know and we’ll find you a buddy!
Join the program with a friend
Doing something new or different is often easier with someone you know and trust. Also, when you are learning and adapting, doing so with people in a similar situation as yourself can be really beneficial. So, the ENVISION Employment program makes sure that young people get the opportunity to prepare for employment in Australia with their friends.
Become a volunteer mentor
Share your knowledge! We are looking for professionals from Melbourne and its surrounding LGAs, with 3+ years’ work experience in any field, to help newly-arrived young people get ready for work through mentoring.
Information for volunteers