Call for EOI: 2018 MYAN Refugee Youth International Leadership Scholarship
Apajok Biar, 2017 scholarship recipient, speaking at the 2017 UNHCR NGO Consultations in Geneva
MYAN (Australia) is currently seeking expressions of interest for the 2018 Refugee Youth International Leadership Scholarship.
This scholarship will support a young advocate from a refugee background to participate in the annual consultations between the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and non-governmental organisations (NGOs) in Geneva, Switzerland in June 2018.
The scholarship recipient will have the opportunity to join the sessions of the UNHCR NGO Consultations, raise issues and concerns with senior UNHCR staff, meet NGO representatives and other young people from refugee backgrounds from around the world, engage in activities with UNHCR’s Global Youth Advisory Council (GYAC) and learn about current and emerging issues in international refugee protection.
- Aged between 18 and 25 years old
- Living in Australia from a refugee background
- Understanding of key issues affecting young people from refugee and asylum-seeking backgrounds in Australia
- Understanding of youth programs/projects in Australia (and/or internationally)
- Active experience/participation in youth programs/projects in Australia
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience in advocacy (including public speaking), and a desire to extend these skills at the global level
- Some understanding of international human rights and refugee law and policy systems, in particular, the role of UNHCR, and
- Knowledge of issues for young refugees/those seeking asylum around the world/in particular regions.
How to apply
All applicants must submit an expression of interest (EOI) by 5.00pm Wednesday 21st February to email@example.com. This EOI must include a written response to each of the selection criteria and a copy of your CV. Please read the description of the role, before applying.
Applications close: 5pm on Wednesday 21st February 2018